Stay Healthy, Stay Dry!
Did you know that damp sporting equipment will support mold growth in as little as 24 hours? Exhausted from the gym, a long run or a hockey game, it’s a common habit to just throw your sports bag in the corner and not think about it again until laundry day, but within just 24-48 hours’ mold spores can begin to form. This mold and mildew often masquerades itself as the familiar musty ‘locker room’ smell emanating from sports bags and athlete’s equipment and clothes.
Why does this happen? Mold loves moist, damp spaces and poor ventilation – such as your hockey helmet, skates or gym bag – creates the perfect environment for the spores to thrive!
Sports equipment is often specialised and expensive, so it’s a very bad idea to turn to bleach to resolve the problem! In addition to causing possible damage to your gear, the harsh chemicals are also likely to cause a reaction if placed near your skin
Here’s our tips to protect your sports gear, and yourself:
- Create new healthy habits! As soon as you get home from the gym or a game, take everything out of your bag and let it all air out. Prevention is key.
- If you notice any mustiness and suspect mold growth on your gear, spray the affected area with Concrobium Mold Control and allow it to dry. As it dries, the product will crush and eliminate the existing spores at the roots – causing zero damage to your belongings.
- If there is any mold residue – typically small black spots – dampen a cloth with the Concrobium Mold Control and gently scrub the surface to remove it.
- Re-apply the product on your bag and equipment to ensure a thin layer remains on the surface. This will prevent future mold growth – protecting you and your gear for longer!
- You can also place our Moisture Grabbers inside your bag when it’s in use. These small, reusable pouches use unique water-attracting and storage technology engineered to capture and reduce moisture in small, confined areas – perfect for keeping your gear fresh!
Are you having problems with mold or mildew? Let us know on Facebook or Twitter and we’ll provide you with our expert advice on getting your surfaces back to their best! For more information on causes and prevention, check out our interactive guide on How To Fight Mold.
Find more valuable information like this at www.water-damage.org
The post 5 Tips to Keep Your Sports Gear Fresh and Clean appeared first on Residential and Commercial Water Damage Restoration.
Source: Water Damage